Dr Alastair Buckley
Alastair Buckley studied Chemical Physics at the University of Sheffield, graduating in 1996. He then studied for a PhD, also in the department of Chemistry at the University of Sheffield, applying various laser spectroscopy techniques to measure the properties of gas discharge lamps. A highlight of his PhD work was the construction of a narrow bandwidth optical parametric amplifier to measure the hyperfine populations of thermally and photo-dissociated iodine atoms in metal halide lamps using coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy.
Following his PhD, Alastair worked for one year as a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, still in Sheffield, investigating energy transfer dynamics in conjugated polymer blends using newly installed ultrafast laser equipment.
In 2000 he moved to Edinburgh to work for organic electroluminescent (OLED) display start up company MicroEmissive Displays. During the next 8 years, while working for MED, Alastair was responsible for the research and development activity of a new class of display device based on conjugated polymer emitting materials licensed from Cambridge Display Technology. His technical experience in the OLED field is extensive with particular insight into the integration of OLED devices with display drive electronic circuits, the control of device emission colour, the encapsulation of top emitting devices and OLED lifetime assessment for real-world applications.
Alastair returned to Sheffield to join the EPMM group in 2008 when he was awarded a lectureship in Organic Electronics and Photonics. His research is themed around understanding and applying the intrinsic advantages of functional organic materials to a wide range of optoelectronic devices.
- “Probing the generation of the β-phase in an oligofluorene using temperature-dependent spectroscopy” WC Tsoi, AR Buckley, DG Lidzey, Chemical Physics Letters (in press)
- “A real-world assessment of OLED lifetime” AR Buckley, I Underwood, CJ Yates. Journal of SID (in press)
- “Controlling the emission colour of polymer OLED microdisplays” I Underwood, AR Buckley, CJ Yates. Digest of IMID/IDMC pp105-110 (2006)
- “Laser-assisted patterning of conjugated polymer light emitting diodes” DG Lidzey, M Voigt, C Giebeler, AR Buckley et al. Organic Electronics 6 221-228 (2005)
- “QVGA color microdisplay using light emitting polymer on CMOS” I Underwood, J Wright, G Bodammer, AR Buckley, D Burns SID Symposium Digest 35 293 (2004)
- “Full color emissive microdisplay using light emitting polymer” G Bodammer, AR Buckley, I Underwood et al. SID Symposium Digest 34 742 (2003)
- “Efficient energy transfer in organic thin films - implications for organic lasers” AK Sheridan, AR Buckley, AM Fox, A Bacher, et al. Journal of Applield Physics 92 6367-6371 (2002)
- “Time-resolved PL studies of partially conjugated MEH-PPV - Control of excimer emission” SA Whitelegg, AR Buckley, MD Rahn, et al. Synthetic Metals 119 575-576 (2001)
- “Energy transfer dynamics in polyfluorene-based polymer blends” AR Buckley, MD Rahn, J Hill, J Cabanillas-Gonzalez, et al. Chemical Physics Letters 339 331-336 (2001)